The Hague (Den Haag in Dutch) is the third largest city in Holland and is home to the House of Representatives (Dutch Parliament).
The city houses numerous Dutch companies, all the foreign embassies, the International Court of Justice and the most important executive body of the Dutch government, among other major international organizations.
What to do in The Hague?
The city’s most-visited landmarks are all very near each other:
- House of Representatives: Also known as the Binnenhof, this enormous complex of buildings is one of the most impressive in The Hague. It includes the Ridderzaal (meaning Hall of Knights in English), a magnificent building flanked on both sides by two towers.
- Peace Palace: The elegant Peace Palace accommodates the International Court of Justice, the main judicial organ of the United Nations.
- Lange Voorhout Avenue: One of the most beautiful thoroughfares in The Hague. It is lined with ancient trees and houses numerous governmental buildings and embassies, such as the Spanish Embassy.
If you have enough time, we also recommend visiting the Town Hall and Mauritshuis, an art museum dedicated to the Dutch Golden Age, and Gemeentemuseum, another popular art museum.
How to get to The Hague?
- Take a train from Amsterdam Central Station directly to The Hague. The journey takes less than one hour. A return ticket costs € 23 (US$ 25) per person.
- Hire a car: If you like to drive and want to discover the Netherlands at your leisure, then this is the best option for you.
Not as interesting as other Dutch cities
Although The Hague is one of the country’s most important cities, it is less interesting for tourists. We would only recommend it to those who have already explored Utrecht and Volendam, among others.
If you plan to discover Madurodam, Holland’s most impressive miniature park, The Hague is just a short ride away and worth also visiting.
The best time to visit The Hague is during the day, since it becomes a ghost town after 6 pm, when the residents leave their offices. It is surprising to compare The Hague with Amsterdam.
Madurodam (2.5 km) Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (40 km) Vondelpark (48.8 km) Van Gogh Museum (49.7 km)